In 1915, a beautiful reredos was installed behind the high altar: this is the work of the famous Church architect, Sir Ninian Comper. The reredos takes the form of a triptych: during Lent, the outer two panels are turned in to cover the centre panel, so that the triptych is not on show.
The left hand panel
depicts St. Lawrence distributing the wealth of the Church to the poor.
The Centre panel
contains alabaster carvings of episodes in the life of the Blessed Virgin Mary:
her Visitation to Elizabeth; the visit of the Three Sages; Jesus turning water into wine
The right hand panel
shows scenes from the Book of Revelation.